Wednesday 12 December 2012

Waxwings

During the last week, we have been lucky enough to have a few waxwings scattered around the village. The first one was found by me on the morning of 6th December & that afternoon there were two in the same location.

Waxwing, by me
Apologies for the very poor quality of the picture, but it was the only one I managed to take before the bird flew off. Here's what it should look like.....

Waxwing, not by me!
The following day, there were three birds in the orchard behind my house & by the weekend, the number was up to six. The last sighting that I am aware of, was two on 10th December. As you can see from the above photo, waxwings love berries, particularly those of sorbus trees. So, at the weekend, I bought and planted a sorbus hupehensis 'Pink Pagoda' in the back garden. Here's hoping it will produce lots of berries in future years!

1 comment:

  1. No surprise to me that such a beautiful bird should reside in the birthplace of Syd Barrett.

    ReplyDelete