Friday 28 December 2012

This is not Cambridgeshire!

Sanderlings, red-throated divers & a gannet - this is definitely not Cambridgeshire!



The beach at Winterton-on-Sea
Actually, it's the beach at Winterton-on-Sea, on the east Norfolk coast. I had just an hour to exercise Jet, our rather bouncy black Labrador (as illustrated in an earlier post), & practice a bit more with the new camera.


Herring Gull
I started with the local herring gulls, as they were plentiful, large & allowed an approach with a few metres. Both the above images have been cropped, but I'm happy with them. I then got distracted by a seal pup that I found hauled up next to a marker on the beach.



Grey Seal pup
The upper photograph was actually taken on my mobile! Whilst I was taking the photos, an adult was watching me from amongst the waves.

Grey Seal adult
Given the lateness of the birth & the appearance of the adult, I would say these are Atlantic Grey Seals. Nearby, there was also a more advanced pup that was able to take to the water as I passed by.
Between the groynes.......


.......sanderlings were feeding along the surf line. I'm particularly happy with this one, & have gone for a bit of artistic cropping!

Sanderling
All in all, a very enjoyable hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment